Blackburne House Group is recruiting a new Management Accountant.
Job Title: MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT
Reports to: Senior Management Team
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000 relevant to experience
PURPOSE OF JOB
To support the Director of Education and Senior Finance Management Team in delivering an effective financial service across Blackburne House Education. Responsible for all aspects of the education finance operations: overseeing and ensuring effective processes and budget management, providing management information and contributing information and professional advice to inform and develop financial strategies and long-term plans. As Management Accountant for Blackburne House Education and The School For Social Entrepreneurs (SSE) your key role is to produce high quality financial management information and financial planning advice to contribute to future financial strategies and plans as follows:
- To produce accurate and timely management accounts
- To carry out budget preparation, maintenance and monitoring
- To manage all financial aspects of projects and contract management and monitoring
- To manage cash flow forecasting
- To develop and improve operational finance procedures and to contribute to financial processes and planning
- To ensure compliance with financial regulations and procedures
- To ensure compliance with funding body regulations with focus on ESFA to ensure organisation meets its obligations and maximises revenue
- To ensure the organisations financial strategy is implemented effectively
- To be responsible for the production of finance reports. Keeping appropriate records and maintaining the Financial Information Systems.
- To prepare monthly management accounts including income and expenditure, balance sheet, cash flow forecasts to agreed timescales.
- Liase with Education MIS team to ensure financial results and projects are in line
- To produce the month end reports for Mangers within BHE and SSE on a timely basis, and to provide support to mangers in all areas of finance
- Provide decision-making support and advice to the Director of Education, individual managers, and where appropriate to the organisations management
- Support the preparation of funding applications and monitoring/evaluation reports
- Work with senior colleagues on developing financial models and management information which combines finance with other major business activities
- To meet with budget holders to review budget performance and investigate variances, to resolve all budget holder queries on a timely basis.
- To prepare the year-end accounts, including preparing the audit file in line with the auditor’s requirements, working with external auditors to deliver an unqualified audit outcomes.
- To prepare the annual budgets in accordance with strategies set by SMT, liaising with budget holders
- To review and ensure the organisation’s fixed asset register is maintained in accordance with financial regulations and procedures
- To prepare and monitor the organisation’s overall cash flow forecast and follow up variances
- To prepare and monitor the organisation’s short term cash flow forecasts and manage the investment of surplus cash balances
- To provide support for all aspects of the organisation’s taxation including VAT and PAYE.
- To ensure that an operational level of service is provided to our internal and external customers at all times
MONITORING OF EXTERNAL CONTRACTS
- Where appropriate, review, recommend and manage improvements in the financial systems and procedures with a view to strengthening controls and achieving improved efficiency.
- To be responsible for ensuring compliance with external funding body rules and regulations to ensure funding revenues are maximised, ensuring all returns are completed accurately and submitted in a timely manner
- To complete ESFA and other funding body statistical returns as required
- To prepare claim forms and funding returns for grants and similar income streams
- To ensure student fee income/debtors/loans are monitored and received as agreed
Such other relevant duties commensurate with the post as may be assigned by your manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- Hold an appropriate level 4 qualification or above (NVQ, HNC/D or Degree).
- Have proven experience in European funding methodologies and regulations.
PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Education finance background and knowledge of changing ESFA contracting landscape
- Experience in a similar working environment and working with key stakeholder e.g. banks, auditors, funder’s budget holders, board members and senior management team.
- Experience of preparing and submitting statutory returns e.g. VAT, HMRS funding & Charities
- An excellent understanding of audit processes and the challenges that this presents in the context of ESFA funding.
- Experience of ESF and ERDF projects
- Experience of budget and management control
- A proven track record in production of management accounts and experience of preparing year end accounts
- Experience of working with Sage Computerised Accounts
SKILLS AND ABILITY
- Ability to understand and navigate the complex funding systems and associated documentation and to resolve issues with the relevant funding organisations.
- Ability to deliver to strict deadlines and prioritise tasks
- Able to analyse numerical data and write reports
- Computer literate with a good understanding of relevant packages and how to automate processes
- Ability to monitor projects and report by exception.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively to a wide range of audiences through excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and to organise/prioritise own workload and that of the team.
- Understanding of and strong commitment to equal opportunities and widening participation in employment and in the delivery of education to our learners.
- A commitment to the Safeguarding of Young People and Vulnerable adults.